Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:56:13 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        "brian j. peterson" <rbw@myplace.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hw.ata.tags, tuning(7), and IBM 60GXP drives (ATTN: Matt Dillon?)

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 11:48:36AM -0700, brian j. peterson wrote:
> the tuning(7) manpage states that IBM DPTA and DTLA drives support the
> hw.ata.tags feature.  it also recommends against purchasing such drives
> because of quality control concerns.  has anyone had a chance to look at
> the 60GXP(*) drives and confirm both their support for hw.ata.tags and
> their quality (or lack thereof)?
>=20
> * - note that IBM has changed their hard drive model naming conventions
>     http://www.storage.ibm.com/techsup/hddtech/modnum.htm

I've been talking to someone at iXsystem.net (the hardware side of what
used to be BSDi) and they say taged queuing should work and that quality
seems to be good, unlike the 75GXPs.  IBM says the 60GXPs are substantialy
improved from the 75GXPs and that they should avoid the quality problems.
Since I'm asking for about 80 units and they currently have free on-site
support, they must be reasionably confident since I doubt they really
want someone visiting me once or twice a week to replace bad disks. ;-)

-- Brooks

--=20

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM--