Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 17:54:10 -0400
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ypserv, the continuing battle...

I saw this the other day:

http://www.sleepycat.com/historic.html

Down at the bottom:

> Finally, you should not upgrade your GNU gcc or Solaris compiler.
> Optimizations in versions of gcc 2 that were in alpha test in the
> summer of 1997, and a version of the standard Solaris WorkShop Compiler
> that was in beta test in the fall of 1997, trigger bugs in versions 1.85
> and 1.86 that will cause sporadic core dumps.

Hmm... does this look familiar to anyone?  What version of berkley DB do
we use.... 1.85... HMMMMMMMMMM

My questions are:
1) will gcc without any '-O' flags make a difference?

2) Can we upgrade to the latest Berkley DB (we will need to do a version bump
   of libc to accomplish this.

It is clear that we _must_ do something... the db in our libc is buggy.

--
David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Lab Director                              | Rm: 308 Lally Hall