Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2008 13:32:01 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Separate rules for each port, or one for all ports?

I'm just curious if there is any information available on how quickly ipfw
processes rules, and whether or not a long list of ports in a single rule
makes things faster or slower?

Just curious if there is a big difference between:

ipfw add allow tcp from any to me 22,25,80,110,143,443,10000 in recv fxp0

and

ipfw add allow tcp from any to me 22    in recv fxp0
ipfw add allow tcp from any to me 25    in recv fxp0
ipfw add allow tcp from any to me 80    in recv fxp0
ipfw add allow tcp from any to me 110   in recv fxp0
ipfw add allow tcp from any to me 143   in recv fxp0
ipfw add allow tcp from any to me 443   in recv fxp0
ipfw add allow tcp from any to me 10000 in recv fxp0

Other than the ability to track traffic through each port, of course.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com