Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2000 22:06:08 -0800
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcm0

Oliver Fromme wrote:

> R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com> wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
>  > device pcm0    at isa?  port ? tty irq 11 drq 1 flags 0x07
>  > ...although that may be completely wrong, I was sort of guessing on
>  > things.  I've heard of people having success based on only adding the
>  > line "device pcm0" to the kernel config.
>
> That's true -- it's a PCI device, so all you need is:
> device pcm0
>
>  > Dmesg shows that my card is there:
>  > es1:  <AudioPCI ES1371> rev 0x07 int a irq 11 on pci0.11.0
>  > pcm1: using I/O space register mapping at 0x6c00
>  > es1371: codec vendor revision 0
>  > es1371: codec features Bass & Treble
>  > es1371: stereo enhancement: no 3D stereo enhancement
>  > ...there is also the line:
>  > pcm0 not found
>
> That's perfectly OK.
>
>  > After compiling I did ./MAKEDEV snd1, like I've read you're supposed  to
>  > do.  It didn't make any pcm* devices.
>
> That's OK, too.
>
>  > I tried making links from
>  > /dev/audio and /dev/audio1 to /dev/pcm0 and /dev/pcm1, also I tried
>  > making links to /dev/dsp with no luck.
>
> There are no device entries /dev/pcm*.  Don't try to create
> them.
>
>  > The mixer is set on 100% every time I've checked it, so that isn't it.
>  > I figure I'm pretty close to getting it to work if it's showing up in
>  > dmesg.  Can someone point me in the right direction?
>
> What is the problem, actually?  What you described so far
> sounds like everything is alright..  So what's wrong, exactly?

Well, I would say not having any sound is wrong.

> Are there any error messages?  What happens if you try to,
> say, play an mp3 file with mpg123?

There have been no error messages.  I haven't tried any mp3's, but the kde cd
player, which worked find under oss, does not work.  It behaves as if it's
playing the cd, counting down the songs, but no sound comes from the speakers.

> Regards
>    Oliver
>
> --
> Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany
> (Info: finger userinfo:olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de)
>
> "In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
>                                          (Terry Pratchett)

R Joseph Wright

*I merely took the energy it takes to pout
and wrote some blues --Duke Ellington*