Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 1999 08:29:29 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@iaces.com>
To:        pschweiger@uswest.net (Patrick Schweiger)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ADSL modem ... a nic modem hybrid?

In a previous message, Patrick Schweiger said:

> I am brand new to FreeBSD, and almost that new to unix. I have
> sucessfully installed it and gotten it to dual boot to win95. I have
> upgraded my internet access to utilize ADSL before I ever dreamed I
> would join those who run unix boxes (you). My DSL modem is a Cisco605
> (occupying a pci slot) and I would love to be able to use it when booted
>
> to FreeBSD. When FreeBSD boots up and probes for hardware it finds an
> "SMC like device" and I'm assuming that this is the modem (the only
> other cards in my computer are a scsi controller, a video board and a
> sound card). I haven't had much luck finding documentation addressing
> dsl modems. I'm tired of running into something I want to find out
> about, then rebooting the computer to access the internet and then
> returning to FreeBSD requiring yet another reboot.
>
> My questions:
> a) where (if anywhere) to look for information about dsl modems on
> FreeBSD?

Sorry to say this, but you should have got the 675 and an Ethernet card
for the extra $50. Are you running 256 Select? (It requires a 605 for
political reasons).

There are no drivers other than Windows 9x/NT for this card. Cisco did
not release specs so others could write drivers. There is mild pondering
going on as to making a driver for MacOS.

Also, as of yesterday, the 605 has stopped production. It is being replaced
by an Intel card (based on the 605), I forget the number. No word on it.

> b) does SMC like device imply that I might get away with treating the
> modem as a nic card?

nope.

> and (if yes to b)
>
> c) what (in your opinion) is the worst thing that could result from
> pretending
> the modem is a nic card (I'll survive a reboot or five - I've had lots
> of practice running windows all my life)

nothing.

> d) accessing the internet via win95 requires that I dial up (the phone
> number my isp told me to plug into win95 dun is '1'). Does this change
> your answer to question b to "no" by default?

This makes it sound like you have 256 Select.

> I would appreciate any and all input.
> Patrick Schweiger

I used to do some ADSL stuff, here at USWEST but now I'm working on IDSL.
Coming soon...

Paul.

--
"Suppose they gave a war and nobody came."

    This popular saying of the late 1960's, used as the title of an
    american movie in 1969, can be traced directly to the similarly
    worded title of an article written in 1914 by Charlotte Keyes and
    published in the October 1966 issue of McCall's magazine.  In his
    poem "The People, Yes" (1936), Carl Sandburg looks to a time when
    "they'll give a war and nobody will come."