Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 2017 09:19:07 +0000 (UTC)
From:      jbeich@freebsd.org (Jan Beich)
To:        andy@neu.net, dim@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, portmgr@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Firefox build fails

Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org> writes:

>> Trying to install Firefox fails with the following:

> On 12 Feb 2017, at 02:33, AN <andy@neu.net> wrote:
>
>> FreeBSD BSD_12 12.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #13 r313546: Fri
>> Feb 10 10:04:11 EST 2017 root@BSD_12:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL
>> amd64

Does your userland (or "world") contain the following change?

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/313504

>> ../../js/src/jsarray.o: In function
>> `js::NewFullyAllocatedArrayTryReuseGroup(JSContext*, JSObject*,
>> unsigned long, js::NewObjectKind, bool)':
>> /usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-51.0.1/js/src/jsarray.cpp:(.text._ZN2js35NewFullyAllocatedArrayTryReuseGroupEP9JSContextP8JSObjectmNS_13NewObjectKindEb+0xb59):
>> undefined reference to `__dtraceenabled_javascript___object__create'
>> /usr/bin/ld: ../../js/src/jsarray.o: relocation R_X86_64_PC32
>> against `__dtraceenabled_javascript___object__create' can not be
>> used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
>> /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value

Restarting interrupted build doesn't always work. Try doing "make clean".

> Disable the DTRACE option, and try again.  See:
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pkg-fallout/Week-of-Mon-20170206/408053.html
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2017-February/107103.html
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2017-February/107138.html
>
> and maybe even other threads.
>
> Let's poke portmgr@ to just disable this option by default, until the port has been fixed.

-CURRENT packages are built every few days, so only 2 sets had firefox
masked due to the DTrace issue. The next build failed due to devel/llvm*
which delayed firefox package a bit more. So, expect it "soon".

# green logs (IPv6-only)
http://beefy11.nyi.freebsd.org/data/head-i386-default/p433920_s313674/logs/firefox-51.0.1_1,1.log
http://beefy12.nyi.freebsd.org/data/head-amd64-default/p433920_s313674/logs/firefox-51.0.1_1,1.log

The larger issue is we don't provide a cushion for -CURRENT hiccups or
EOL'd releases unlike /head (ports) + quarterlies. Old packages are pruned
as soon as the next set is ready. And as individual packages are unsigned
(unlike repo) one can't share their backup copy with others.