Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 11:13:30 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: suspend problems with Dell Inspiron 3700

"Jose M. Alcaide" wrote:

> Most of the time, APM suspend simply does not work. I compiled a kernel with
> APM_DEBUG, and I cannot see nothing wrong. Simply, the machine does not go
> into suspend state. I tried both "zzz" and the suspend hot key with identical
> results. Surprisingly, the first two or three days after I received the laptop
> and installed FreeBSD on it, APM suspend worked fine (even S2D), but it went
> worse in the following days (I got the laptop two weeks ago). I left a small
> Windows partition, and APM suspend/resume always works under Windows98.

I post this message for future searchs in the mail archives.

My conclusion is that the Dell Inspiron 3700 C433GT is one on those
machines which have a broken statclock. I don't why, but these are
the facts.

The "solution" for the APM suspend not working (which only happens
when the RTC is generating IRQ8s) is the activation of the flag 0x20
for the apm driver (as stated in LINT).

Apart from profiling, I don't know what other system features will be
lost because of the missing statclok...

-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del País Vasco              | mailto:jmas@FreeBSD.org
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-946013071