Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 15:41:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ps -ax runs off the screen

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Nathan Vidican wrote:

> When I do a ps -ax | grep "ftpd:" , it tends to run off the screen if
> the hostname is too long. Does the process simply not display anything
> past X amount of characters wide, or would it somehow be possible to
> pipe the output of 'ps -ax' to a text file?

Add the -w switch for "wide" display (ps axw). If that's still not enough,
add another 'w'. Oh yeah, and 'man ps'. :)

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/