Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2002 09:39:18 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Sergey Mokryshev <mokr@mokr.net>
Cc:        Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>, Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>, Hiten Pandya <hiten@unixdaemons.com>, Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PFIL_HOOKS should be made default in 5.0

Sergey Mokryshev wrote:
> > I'm really not a fan of "NO_PFIL_HOOKS" as an option.
>
> I'm not talking about NO_PFIL_HOOKS but "options PFIL_HOOKS" in GENERIC.
> Too many people may foot shoot themselves trying to upgrade from 4-STABLE
> to 5.0.

If you make them non-optional, which is what started this thread,
then you *are* talking about having to add an option in to get
rid of them.

I understand that people all want their pet software to run out
of the box without modification.

> > Probably the correct thing to do is to wire in ipfilter as a
> > Netgraph module.
>
> AFAIK Solaris, HP-UX and others lack Netgraph support, but support pfil.

They support Streams, instead.  Same ecological niche.

-- Terry