Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 18:22:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mpp.pro-ns.net>
To:        sheldonh@uunet.co.za (Sheldon Hearn)
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/12372: man page HISTORY for strdup is wrong

> The following reply was made to PR docs/12372; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
> To: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: docs/12372: man page HISTORY for strdup is wrong
> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 20:46:54 +0200
>
>  Style precedent taken from the pipe(2) manpage:

You picked the wrong page to look at for HISTORY style :-(.

>   .Sh HISTORY
>   The
>   .Fn strdup
>  -function first appeared in
>  -.Bx 4.4 .
>  +function first appeared in UNIX System V release 2.

Should read:

.Sh HISTORY
The
.Fn strdup
function first appeared in
.At V.2 .

Or as someone else pointed out, "...is believed to have first appeared...",
which I don't really like.  If we can't prove when it first came to be,
and it wasn't in 4.3, but was in 4.4, then at least for the lineage of
our systems, the history is correct.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard