Date:      Thu, 22 May 2003 12:13:25 +0100
From:      Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munk.nu>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: root msgs on ttyv0..

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 12:37:16PM +0200, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
> Can someone explain to me how I can get rid of the messages that clutter
> my ttyv0, when I log in as root on i,e, ttyv4. It's messing up my work
> on the first tty (where I work as a normal user). Reading news w/ slrn
> and *bhang* "a message about root activities on another tty.."
>
> Can this be turned off? Or redirected to another tty? Or what?
Yes, read the manpage: man syslogd.conf

Specifically try changing this line:

*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit		/dev/console

in /etc/syslog.conf.

If you wanted to stop receiving messages about logging on, perhaps try:

*.err;kern.debug;auth.none;mail.crit		/dev/console

remember to send a hangup signal to syslogd:

kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslog.pid`

after changing /etc/syslog.conf.

HTH,
Jez