Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 1996 11:31:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Steve Ames <steve@news.cioe.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help! restore problem

Please observe reply-to's; gdi.uoregon.edu doesn't exist at current.

> > > I've had a system up for 8 months or so that was running great. Recently its
> > > drive 0 went bad. I'm trying to restore the filesystem from backup but I'm
> > > getting an error message:
> > >
> > > st0: block size wrong, 64 blocks residual
> > > tape read error: Input/output error
> > >
> > > I've backed up and restored a couple of test filesystems and all went
> > > according to plan... I'm not sure what this error indicates or how to
> > > fix it... HELP!!!
> >
> > What were the command line(s) you used to backup & restore?
> >
> Its a conner tapestore tsm 4000R. Its connected to an adaptec 2940.
> The tape type is 'QIC-3080-MC compatible'.
>
> The command I used was:
>
> freebsd# dump 0ufs /dev/nrst0 90000 /

Yuck, the old tape data.  :(  Read up on the B and b options and use those
instead of the deprecated s and d options.  You'll get much better tape
size estimates.

> the restore command I attempted was:
>
> freebsd# restore rf /dev/nrst0
>
> I've used this same setup when the machine was operational (ok restore if,
> not restore rf) and it worked fine.

You will want to read the restore(8) man page if you haven't already.  It
has special qualifications for the r 'restore filesystem' option.

>From the manpage:

     r Restore (rebuild a file system).  The target file system should
             be made pristine with newfs(8), mounted and the user cd'd
into the pristine file system before starting the restoration of the
initial level 0 backup. If the level 0 restores successfully, the r key
may be used to restore any necessary incremental backups on top of the
level 0.  The r key precludes an interactive file ex- traction and can be
detrimental to one's health if not used care- fully (not to mention the
disk). An example:

                   newfs /dev/rrp0g eagle
                   mount /dev/rp0g /mnt
                   cd /mnt

                   restore rf /dev/rst8

             Note that restore leaves a file restoresymtable in the root
di- rectory to pass information between incremental restore passes.  This
file should be removed when the last incremental has been restored.

I would highly suggest using the -b option to specify the blocksize
yourself.  Your tape may be very particular about the blocksizes -- I
would say try 64 or 128 as a starting size.