Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:57:45 +0100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <mavetju@chello.nl>
To:        rmichalski@enwin.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to root due to invalid shell

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 10:49:38AM -0500, rmichalski@enwin.com wrote:
> I can't login as root due to an invalid shell setting in the user database.
> The shell selected is kcsh which does not exist in my bin directory.
> Because of this I cannot login as root.  Any attempt to copy or rename csh
> to kcsh fails because I do not have permission.  Any help would be
> appreciated.

Boot in single-usermode (at the ten seconds delay during startup),
then you can edit the file /etc/passwd. Maybe you need to mount
the filesystems manually, maybe you need to use ed instead of vi.

I always found it an interesting experience when I had to fix my
system :-)

Edwin, been there, done that, got the tshirt
--
Edwin Groothuis   |           Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions:
mavetju@chello.nl |                     http://fataldimensions.nl.eu.org/