Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:06:17 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommended SCSI harddrives

Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee> types:
> On 20 Nov 01 at 1:01 you wrote:
> > I have read about some Quantum drives from Storagereview.com, but I have
> > never used a Quantum drive of any kind, ever, and remember only bad memories
> > of fixing systems with those crappy Bigfoot drives.
> > How are Quantum's SCSI drives?
> During last 5 years or so, I've had a grand total of 3 SCSI drives
> die on me. Two of them were Western Digital, one was Quantum. I
> don't think I'll be buying any more Quantum SCSI drives soon.
> Especially after Quantum was purchased by Maxtor (one of my least
> favourite HD manufacturers).

Even more so since Maxtor quit making SCSI drives a while back.

> > I was looking at IBM as well, but I have lost trust in them after their
> > 75GXP drive, which is roughly as reliable as Windows 95. Are their SCSI
> > drives better?
> I guess if I had to buy SCSI hard disk today, I'd still choose IBM.
> The production processes of IDE and SCSI disks should be distinct
> enough so that the SCSI drives don't get "infected" with the
> problems of current IDE drives. That's just my guess, though, so
> please take it for what it's worth.

That's not a good assumption. Many drive manufacturers use the same
media for both types of drive, and just attach different electronics
to the drives. I recall one manufacturer that even had identical model
numbers with an S attached for the SCSI version.

IBM may do things differently, or the problems reported may be in the
electronics - I'm not familiar with them - so don't take this as a
"don't buy IBM" note.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.