Date:      Wed, 5 Nov 1997 22:35:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        gemohler@tgn2.tgn.net (Geoff Mohler)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Drive Mapping problem

> Here is the basic setup that I have here:
> Tyan S1680S Tahoe, Pentium II 266, 128MB
> Adaptec 2940UW pci slot 1, Seagate ST19171W   dos C:
> Adaptec 2940UW pci slot 2, Seagate ST19171W   dos D:
>
> The problem is, that the machine sees "C:" as 80h, and when you install
> FreeBSD, it writes the / partition and the other partitions destined for
> SD0 to that wrong drive..DOS drive "D:", or 81h
>
> When you boot, the BIOS attempts to boot from 80h "C:", and of course
> there is no filesystem there, and you get "No Operating System" error.
>
> Why are FreeBSD and the system BIOS mapping different drives to be the
> boot drive?

Did you "swap" C: and D: in BIOS?

In general, drive letter assignment order on SCSI is exactly the
same as SCSI ID order.  Unless you specifically configure the
SCSI controller specific setup otherwise.

If FreeBSD is making a mistake here, then you must have told the
controller to lie to the BIOS.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---