Date:      Sun, 07 May 2006 16:48:44 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Iantcho Vassilev <ianchov@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pf not loading the rules at boot

Iantcho Vassilev wrote:
> Hello to all,
>

> I noticed such a problem:
>
> I have a 6.1 RC2

Step one should be to upgrade to the latest 6-stable, and run mergemaster.

> and i have in rc.conf
>
> pf_enable="YES"
> pflogd_enable="YES"

I think you already corrected yourself to say that you have pflog_enable,
not pflogd_, correct?

> but when the system boots i test with:
>
> pfctl -vs rules
>
> and there are not rules loaded.if i load them by hand there is no problem..

When you say "load them by hand," what do you do exactly?

> then i made:
>
> rc_debug="YES"

Try adding rc_info=yes as well.

> and the first thing that i saw was: when pf_enable is after pflogd_enable ;
> it is not printed(checked)..

The order of the variables in your rc.conf file is not relevant.

> i put pf_load="YES" >> /boot/loader.conf
> and still the ruleset is NOT loaded on boot...

The rc system doesn't know anything about /boot/loader.conf.

I'm also interested in what happens if you add -v to the pf_flags. What are
the permissions on /etc/pf.conf?

Doug