Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 19:43:44 -0400
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        Mark Yeck <y3k@gti.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: safely briding from internet to "localnet"

mark mentioned,

> whoa. i did this exact thing on monday. natd and ipfw are involved. also,
> recompiling the kernel and stuff. i followed the directions from
> www.freebsdzine.org and it works great. I think it was the
> february issue. i'd send a link, but for some reason i cant reach it right
> now. Only problem I ran into was this, in the natd man page, it says to add
> "options IPFIREWALL" and "options IPDIVERT" to the kernel. i found that i had
> to use "option IPDIVERT" for some reason.

> if you have any problems, let me know. that box is at work, so i can
> check stuff out tomorrow on it if you need help.

yep, I found that page too, and most of it was wonderful.  But that
section just refers you on to natd, which is what I know absolutely
nothing about.

When I added both of those to my kernel (and maybe I added the line in
/etc/rc.firewall ?) I ended up with a kernel that couldn't handle the
network at all.

If you can provide the ipfw/natd rules and where to put them, I'd
greatly appreciate it.

hawk

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail