Date:               Wed, 24 May 1995 10:31:49 CST6CDT
From:      "John Booth" <JOHN@gab.unt.edu>
To:        kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:         Re: ** Problem with 3com EL III + Intel Plato + aha2940/Sea

> ** Problem with 3com EL III + Intel Plato + aha2940/Seagate3240 **
> When I set Etherlink (or SMC Elite) irq corrrectly the hard drive
> stops/hangs after message
> "changing root device to sd0a"
> If the Etherlink/SMC Elite irq is not correct (10) disk works OK.
Does the Plato have PCI slots?  If so, you need to go into the CMOS
setup and tell the motherboard that the irq you are assigning to
the 3com card is used by an ISA card.  Otherwise the motherboard is
likely to assign IRQ 10 to the 2940 controller.  I've encountered this
with the Intel Premiere motherboards...likely to happen on any PCI
motherboards.  The motherboard manual probably sates this somewhere--
the downfall of leaping, then reading ;).
                                    College of Arts & Sciences
                                    Computing Services
                                    John A. Booth, john@gab.unt.edu