Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:15:04 -0400
From:      Steve Tremblett <sjt@cisco.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   portversion weirdness

Any portupgrade gurus out there?

When I run portversion, I see that well over half of my installed ports
are listed with ">" (ie. installed version is more recent than version
in /usr/ports).  I am sure cvsup is updating /usr/ports for me, and I
am sure "make index" is making /usr/ports/INDEX.  pkgdb -F and pkgdb -u
seem to work fine.

I have a cvsup refuse file, skipping the following:

ports/astro*
ports/biology*
ports/cad*
ports/chinese*
ports/french*
ports/german*
ports/hebrew*
ports/japanese*
ports/korean*
ports/russian*
ports/vietnamese*
ports/ukrai*

When making INDEX, there are some complaints about this, but it still
proceeds:

distribute-2.1.26: "/usr/ports/japanese/mimekit" non-existent -- dependency list
 incomplete
gnuplot371+-1.2.0: "/usr/ports/japanese/vflib" non-existent -- dependency list i
ncomplete
kde-i18n-3.0.1: "/usr/ports/japanese/kde3-i18n" non-existent -- dependency list
incomplete

Should I maybe cvsup without the refuse file, make INDEX, and then
delete the dirs I don't want?

I can't use portupgrade until it properly understands the versions on
my system, and I don't want to upgrade the spiderweb that is XF86
without it.  Help please! :)

--
Steve Tremblett