Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 1995 10:00:13 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        91gotter@wave.scar.utoronto.ca (GOTTER  PAUL DANIEL)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how do I install freebsd on my system?

> Hi all,
>
> I've got 40 megs free on my 386DX system and I would like to install
> freebsd.  I've downloaded these files from the ftp site, and they were in
> the floppy directory: boot.flp fixit.flp atapi.flp root.flp,
> is that all I need to get started.  And how do I uncompress
> these files to floppy disks?  As you can tell, I need A LOT of help!
> Thanks.

If you have a unix system nearby you can

dd if=boot.flp of=/dev/rfd0a obs=9216

or get RAWRITE.EXE (a DOS program) and write the boot.flp
image (under DOS) to the boot floppy.

RAWRITE boot.flp

Start wth booting from the boot.flp and continue from there with the
installation menu. 40 megs is darn tough. Also you ought to have
at least 5 MB of RAM.