Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 19:07:37 -0800
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@EnContacto.Net>
To:        Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
Cc:        Gerardo Amaya <gerardo@delaluz.net>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, andy@CRWdog.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Almost give up with this

Thanks for the info, Andy.  I didn't realize that Compaq was already
using different chipsets.  That is always a problem with Compaq laptops.
The configuration filet that I sent works with the LM chipset.

Gerardo, as Andy and I both said, send us a dmesg and/or scanpci, if the
configuration file doesn't work.

ed

Quoting Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>:

> Please post a dmesg.
>
> Then we can tell you whether the help Edwin tried to give you (with the
> config
> file) or the help I tried to give you (advising that a Radeon M6 requires
> XFree86-4.1.99 from www.XFree86.org's CVS server later than Nov) is the
> appropriate path to follow.
>

> FYI, the chipid is the model of the graphics chipset, and this can be seen
> from either 'dmesg' output or a 'scanpci'.
>
> The Radeon M6 is aka the LY.
>
> Therefore, an LY is 0x4c59, and this *requires* support from XFree86.org. Or
>
> wait until next year when XFree86 4.2 is released.
>
> An ATI Rage 128 Mobility M1 is an LM, and this (and many others Rage/Radeon
>
> cards) will work with XFree86-4.1 from 'ports'.
>
> The M6/LY card will not. It might, if you force the chipset recognition code,
>
> but there are still potentially LCD panel detection issues with pre-December
>
> XFree86 code.
>
> Cheers,
>
> AS
> > I have a compaq presario 1700 with a mobility radeon card. I install
> > XFree 4.1.0 and when I try
> >
> > # XFree86 -configure
> >
> > I get this error
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> >
> > XFree86 has found a valid card configuration.
> > Unfortunately the appropriate data has not been added to xf86PciInfo.h.
> > Please forward 'scanpci -v' output to XFree86 support team.
> >
> > When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
> > the full server output, not just the last messages.
> > This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
> > Please report problems to xfree86@xfree86.org.
> >
> > I attach my scanpci -v output if someone wants to see it
> >
> > Is my card PCI or AGP??
> > I try to load the agp module and got the same error.
> >
> > I really need to run this thing
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Gerardo

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-mobile" in the body of the message

---