Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:56:40 -0500 (COT)
From:      Buliwyf McGraw <buliwyf@libertad.univalle.edu.co>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gets() is unsafe (fwd)

Kris Kennaway, and lo! it spake thus:
> > * Buliwyf McGraw <buliwyf@libertad.univalle.edu.co> [020114 14:49] wrote:
> > >
> > >  Hi... i was installing several applications (php,xmms,etc) on my
> > >  FreeBSD 4.4 server and i got the next message a lot of times when
> > >  i was compiling:
             ^^^^^^^^^
> > > /usr/lib/compat/libc.so.3: warning: mktemp() possibly used unsafely;
> > > consider using mkstemp()
> > > /usr/lib/compat/libc.so.3: warning: tmpnam() possibly used unsafely;
> > > consider using mkstemp()
[...]

> > No, this is a FAQ; it's a bug in the linker which causes it to trip
> > every single _warn_references() in the library when it links to libc,
> > regardless of whether the program actually uses the functions in
> > question.

> I think it's an even better FAQ: Why, when he's compiling, is it linking
> against a compat/libc?

 Ok... i have to say that i am not an expert on FreeBSD, just a new
 admin... I installed FreeBSD 4.4 on my box (in some  way, "everything by
 default")... and then i started to install some applications (apache,php,etc),
 not with the /stand/sysinstall utility, but in the traditional way:
 - Download the *.tar.gz
 - Uncompress, configure, make, make install

 I expected no problems... but as you can see, the warning messages give
 an "insecure" sensation.
 I want to do something to avoid that messages when i try to compile a GNU
 application.
 Thanks for your comments and help.