Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 16:39:47 +0000 ()
From:      Marc Rassbach <marc@tandem.milestonerdl.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Speed of the cards? was Re: SCSI card to choose

As I am looking at overclocking my bus speed, which cards (SCSI and network)
out there are known to work at faster bus rates?  (75 and 83 mhz bus)

http://www.anandtech.com/cgi-bin/Database_manager/db_manager.cgi?setup_file=ocfpers.setup

is starting such a list....

On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Oliver Fromme wrote:

Unless Adaptec has changed:
If I have 1 card with CD and 4 more without and the OS I bought requires
a driver supplied by Adaptec, I am only licenced for 1 copy, not 5.

BusLogic allowed me to buy/download the one driver and replicate it.

> IMHO this is a good thing, because you pay only for what you
> actually need.  For example, if you have to equip a pool with

And I consider vendors creating and supplying drives to be a necessary
job for them... not an extra charge.

> Nevertheless, I agree that Adaptec's SCSI adapters are over-
> priced (at least the "consumer line", i.e. 1542, 2840, 2940),

Nod, and for that extra cost, they should be happy to provide the drivers.