Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:14:33 -0500
From:      Brian Bobowski <bbobowski@cogeco.ca>
To:        Graham Bentley <gbentley@uk2.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 81, Issue 24

Graham Bentley wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>As an experiment (and to gain some expereince) I would like
>to test out locally various CMS software.
>
>I have a 5.3 release disc here and can get a minimal install
>up and running and on the net quite quickly now.
>
>What I am struggling with is the following :-
>
>What is the best order (options/versions) to install these packages
>
>Mysql, Apache, PHP - which I need to test out the CMS software
>
>Just recently I installed Apache2, then PHP 3.9.2 and MySQL 4.0
>only to find I had not got support for MySQL compiled into PHP.
>
>There must be some logical methods to ensure that each package
>has the dependancies it requires ?
>
>For eample do I need /usr/ports/www/mod_php4 as well
>as /usr/ports/lang/php4 ?
>
>Any advice appreciated :)

mod_php4 is the Apache mod and is probably a Very Good Thing(but you got
PHP 3.9.2...?).

Since PHP and MySQL exist independently and neither needs the other to
run(except with one another), that's likely why it doesn't default...

I would do MySQL and Apache first, in whatever order, then lang/php4,
then www/mod_php4. SQL and the web server are, I believe, quite
independent; since PHP is, among other things, the glue that's holding
them together, that's best installed when you already have the other
two(which don't care about PHP beyond Apache loading libphp4.so as
produced, I think, by www/mod_php4).

HTH,
-BB