Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 14:19:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   CD-RW long filenames/rw filesystem.

A couple weeks ago I got a CD-RW drive, and decided to try it out under
all the different OS's I use. In FreeBSD, the only way (it seems) to use
it, is grab a bunch of stuff you want to backup/record and use mkisofs and
cdrecord to dump it onto a CD.  Everything I read seemed to indicate that
this method limits you to the 8.3 filename format of iso9660 and all
Rockridge does is add file/group permissions and ownership.  is there any
CD recording utilities/formats that can do long filenames (hopefully with
Unix permissions)?
	Next question. Under Windows, there was a program called Adaptec
Direct CD that pretty much allowed you to treat a CD-RW disc as "a really
big floppy disk" (I think that was from the docs). You can save a file to
the CD-RW and then delete it later if you want to.  Would it be possible,
or even feasible, to implement something like this in FreeBSD?

-----
In computer terms, hardware is the stuff you can hit with a baseball bat,
and software is the stuff you can only swear at.
   -from a web page explaining what hardware, software, and firmware are
----