Date:      Thu, 24 Nov 2005 10:59:13 +0800
From:      "Huajian.Luo" <Huajian.Luo@Sun.COM>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   port/source snap the ports/kernel source

Hi there,

After I upgrade my box to 6.0, I found that portsnap is currently
in the base system. I'm curious that why we need invent a tool that
just fetch the ports.tar.gz from mirror, while can not fetch the
kernel source, while I can make it by wget the ports.tar.gz even behind
a firewall and extract it to the /usr/ports and update all softwares
by portupgrade.

What I wonder is that why there is no sourcesnap alike tools or why
there is no daily snapshots like src.tar.gz and sys.tar.gz that we can
use portsnap/wget to snap it to local disk. and the CVSup's drawbacks
have drew many users away from it.

What do you think of this?

Thanks,

--Huajian.