Date:      Sat, 04 May 2002 10:45:18 -0500
From:      Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@icsmx.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   OFF-Topic.Restricting access to pages.

Hello all.
I'm sorry this is off topic.
A friend from the speaking Spanish list asked me to post this here to know
your comments and advice.
She is on a project where she needs to restrict access to certain part of a
site according to certain user category. Now there are not too many users
but in the future could be more and could be lot of movement on the users,
changing the permissions to what they can or can not see and access on the
site. She thought on solve the problem with the htacess access feature from
Apache. But with this solution she does not know how to control easily the
maintenance of users that access the site.
The other solution we were talking (I'm trying to help her) is to develop
some validation with PHP and a database, construct all pages on the fly
according to permissions. We know this could be a more extensive solution
and that will require more time and resources.
We know that both solutions could work but we are worried (since we have
never done it before) on the security. I man, if users consult the pages,
let's say on a public library , the complete path of the pages will be in
the history of the browser user. Teorically a user could see the history
and enter the site without being asked again for the user and password. Is
that right? Any ideas on other options to look?

Thanks in advance.

JB