Date:      Thu, 06 Jul 1995 06:59:08 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Allon Herman <allon@opal.co.il>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, amirk@opal.co.il
Subject:   Re: file locking across NFS

>I have installed FreeBSD on a pc which is dedicated for serving as a mail
>server. All works fine and I'm very pleased with the system. Anyway there
>is one thing that disturbs me. On our network we have SGI workstations
>running Irix 5.3, when users try to get advantage of mediamail, they find
>it is impossible to use it. Mediamail gets stuck when started and complains
>about being unable to lock the mail box which is naturally NFS mounted from
>FreeBSD in our case. When the problem first occured we were still running
>Irix 5.2 and I was hoping that this problem will be solved when we upgrade
>to Irix 5.3. Unfortunatly the problem has not been solved by upgrading the
>system on our SGI's. I have also noticed that NFS daemons such as statd and
>lockd do not exist on FreeBSD, has this fact got any relation to our problem?
>I would like to know what is the status of this issue and if need be I'll
>willingly help develop the missing daemons or some other alternative with
>similar functionality.
>
>-Allon Herman.

The problem is that the Irix machine is trying to talk to the statd/lockd
pair on the FreeBSD box in order to accquire an NFS lock.  Unfortunately,
the specs to statd/lockd are a well kept secret by Sun, so no free or
or publicly ducumented version exists.  Until someone has the time and
patience to reverse engineer them, I fear that FreeBSD will continue to
lack NFS lock support.

Perhaps Irix has an option to disable locking on an NFS partition?
--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM