Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 00:13:04 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Albert Everett" <freebsd@webintl.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Max number of NIC's and aliases

Sorry, Albert, (and all) I screwed up on that one.  It was late and I didn't
explain myself clearly at all, and I was in a hurry.  Me bad!

What I was referring to works if your running address translation and
your server (or servers) is behind a translator.  (since most of the time
your going to put webservers behind some kind of firewall, you can run
translation on this)  The limitation to this trick is that you can't use
it with SSL-enabled sites since the SSL must have a legitimate IP number
attached to it.

What you do is all the IP numbers have to be grouped together in a subnet, of
course, then you route the entire subnet to the translator.

On the translator you install a mapping like this:

outside           inside
IP number:port    IP number:port

198.1.2.1:80  --->  10.10.10.10:1000
198.1.2.2:80  --->  10.10.10.10:1001
198.1.2.3:80  --->  10.10.10.10:1002
198.1.2.4:80  --->  10.10.10.10:1003
198.1.2.5:80  --->  10.10.10.10:1004

Obviously you have to put the appropriate Listen directive in each of
your Apache virtual host sections.

This gets around the problem of putting multiple alias interfaces on your
webserver and you are pretty unrestricted by any limits of number of
interfaces on the webserver.  Of course if your translator is crappy then
you have a limit to the number of maps.