Date:      Mon, 07 Feb 2000 21:40:09 -0700
From:      Rajeev Jayavant <maroons@uswest.net>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Cc:        Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
Subject:   Framemaker mystery - a solution

The short story:  edit /etc/login.conf and specify a value for
openfiles.
I can reliably make Framemaker fail or run by toggling between
openfiles=unlimited and openfiles=64.  Similar results can be had by
using "limit descriptors" under [t]csh.  I didn't experiment enough to
find
the magic limit for openfiles that triggers the failure.

This is on a machine that was upgraded to 3.4-release from the WC CDROM.
It's probably not pure 3.4-release since I've done upgrades from
2.2.8->3.1->3.2->3.3 without reformating the disk.

The long story is that I first tried running Framemaker after upgrading
3.3 to 3.4 but before building a custom kernel or merging file in /etc.
It worked - but then it started exhibiting the failures described on
this
mailing list after I rebooted the machine.  I narrowed the culprit down
login.conf by backing out all of the changes one at a time.  As to why
the openfiles=unlimited setting causes the problem - I'll leave that to
the
kernel experts on this mailing list.
							Rajeev