Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 18:04:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        chris@ooc2000.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Syntax error in rc.conf has made my entire filesystem read only!!!!!!

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Chris wrote:

> I was making some changes to rc.conf, and I introduced a syntax error (I forgot to close quotes on
> my ed0= line, configuring my NIC). It'd be easy to fix, but I can't make any changes whatsover to
> any file -- everything I try gets me "Read-Only file system". Also, during boot time it makes me
> enter the path to my shell (bash), and I can't ever logout - every attempt makes me reenter the
> shell. (I guess rc.conf is getting run out logout time too and it's failing in the same place).
>
> Has anyone seen this? What do I do???? I just have to make one tiny change to rc.conf and I'm all
> set . . . but how????

You boot single user.
You type mount -u / and then mount -a
You should thus be able to mount all your file systems, which will give
you access to your favorite editor.
You might have to type
/sbin/mount -rw -a
or perhaps even mount the file systems individually; you can see what they
are with cat /etc/fstab

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC