Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 16:24:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        uwi mAn <uwiman3k@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: out of inodes

uwi mAn wrote to ryan@sasknow.com:

> >The default is 4 * frag size (4K per inode). This means that your
> >average file size must be greater than 4K if you want to utilize
> >all of the SPACE on the drive without running out of inodes.
> >
> >You can double the amount of available inodes by using -i 2048.
> >Quadruple with -i 1024.
>
> thanks Ryan, I did as you said... and all worked ;) quick queston:
> what the value of inode[4K,2K,1K] is the best? or it only depends on
> situations?

It DEFINITELY depends on the situation. If your files are smaller than
4K on average, use 2K. If they are smaller than 2K on average, use 1K.
If they are smaller than 1K, what the hell are you doing? :-)

Personally, I can't remember the last time I ever ran out of inodes,
so, my situation is different than yours. (Usually, I INCREASE the
bytes per inode because the defaults are WAY too dense for my
applications).

> Thanks man, you're the greatest.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon