Date:      08 May 2003 23:46:17 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
To:        Mike B <chops@cinci.rr.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hard lockups

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 21:46, Mike B wrote:
> I've experienced several hard freezes on my toshiba satellite 1905-s301
> notebook. With a kernel built May 4 I got many hangups after leaving the
> machine run overnight. The screen auto-blanked before it locked up, so I
> couldn't determine what the cause could have been. I did hava a java app
> running, and that may have been the cause. Since then I've updated to
> 5.1 BETA (may 7) and removed atapicam, pass, cd, cbb, cardbus, and
> pccard from the kernel. No problems since, although the hard freeze
> persists when I insert a pc card into the machine when cbb is enabled.
>
> Will Saxon wrote:
>
> >Has anyone been experiencing non-panic hard freezes lately? I just started running -current a couple of weeks ago, before that I had 5.0-RELEASE without seeing any problems.
> >
> >Occasionally, I will just have a machine lockup, no panics, nothing. The machine is unresponsive to the network also.
> >
> >Usually, there is some sort of disk activity - I have seen the lockup 3 or 4 times trying to compile/install things, and 2x today, once compiling a new kernel, the other while redirecting output from a job to a text file.
> >
> >Today's lockups were using a May 6 kernel, SMP, none of the debugging options, SCHED_ULE, LAZY_SWITCH, ADAPTIVE_MUTEXES, and ZERO_COPY_SOCKETS. I have since recompiled to include all the debugging options, but the only thing that has shown up is a lock order reversal in the sound code.
> >
> >This machine is a dual celeron and uses ata drives. DMA is turned on. Ethernet is via a 3c905B controller. The one hard drive is using the onboard HPT366 controller, not the PIIX one.
> >
> >I'm not sure what else to include. I am always suspicious of hard lockups, it is difficult to pinpoint what causes them since there is no log entry to read. It could easily be a hardware issue, but since I hadn't had problems before -current I thought I would write in.

I also experience hard lockups on a regular basis, and generally also
when there's heavy disk activity. My motherboard is a Supermicro DLE (I
think, can't see in the case at the moment) so I don't think it's
specific to a particular motherboard.

Having said that, I haven't had one in the last 24 hours which is the
first time it's survived that long in many months.

--
Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
FreeBSD Services Ltd