Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 04:41:40 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        joe@via.net (Joe McGuckin)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple kernel src trees?

> Can I have multiple kernel src trees on a single machine?

Yes.

> Are all the include files using relative paths?

No.

> Do I need any special links?

I generally do the following:

root# cd /
root# rm -f sys
root# ln -s /usr/src/sys sys
root# cd /usr
root# mv src src-release
root# mkdir src
root# cd src
root# cat > MKRELEASE <<EOF
#!/bin/sh
#
# MKRELEASE; copy and modify for each desired build environment
#

# remove old links
rm -f bin contrib etc gnu include lib lkm sbin sys usr.bin usr.sbin

# create new links; some links may be to differnt directories; ususally
# this is only "sys" for different kernel build trees...
ln -s /usr/src-release/bin bin
ln -s /usr/src-release/contrib contrib
ln -s /usr/src-release/etc etc
ln -s /usr/src-release/gnu gnu
ln -s /usr/src-release/include include
ln -s /usr/src-release/lib lib
ln -s /usr/src-release/lkm lkm
ln -s /usr/src-release/sbin sbin
ln -s /usr/src-release/sys sys
ln -s /usr/src-release/usr.bin usr.bin
ln -s /usr/src-release/usr.sbin usr.sbin
echo "done."
EOF
root # chmod 755 MKRELEASE
root# cd /usr/include
root# rm -rf sys
root# ln -s /sys/sys sys
root# rm -rf machine
root# ln -s /sys/i386/include machine

Then I can:

root# cd /usr/src
root# ./MKRELEASE
done.
root# cd /sys/i386/conf
root# config GENERIC
... yada yada yada ...
root# cd ../../compile/GENERIC
root# make depend ; make

To make a RELEASE kernel ...or use another "MK", like MKCURRENT, to
make a CURRENT kernel, etc..

> I'd like to have a stable build area without having to overwrite the
> normal /sys file that come with the install disk.

Me too.  It's a pain in the rear.  And the libkvm and w and ps build
areas use relative references to get related sources; that breaks
their compilation as well.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---