Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2008 15:03:30 -0600
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UFS2 corruption (RELENG_7, amd64)

Quoting Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>:

...snip...

> # fsck -y /dev/da45
> ** /dev/da45
> ** Last Mounted on [...]
> ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
> ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
> UNALLOCATED  I=3D2107428  OWNER=3D2283830233 MODE=3D0
> SIZE=3D0 MTIME=3DFeb  5 08:43 2008
> NAME=3D/D.0131ae2e/B.0786
>
> UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY
>
> REMOVE? yes

I've been seeing "UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY" fsck errors =20
show up in some of my filesytem snapshots on a RELENG_6 AMD64 box for =20
years (actually since RELENG_5), which will eventually lead to "panic: =20
snapblkfree: inconsistent block type" if those snapshots are mounted =20
and used.  There are no SCSI or "bad block" errors or any error of any =20
other kind that shows up on my system before the problems occur.  I =20
think I used default newfs settings when creating the (comparatively =20
small) 300GB filesystem.  The problem happens rarely and on a =20
production system so I've never been able to pin it down to anything =20
in particular.

I've found that others have seen the same panic, likely from the same cause:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dkern/115645 (see first =20
reply in Audit-Trail)

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2006-August/027916.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2006-August/027917.html

I did very recently determine that the "snapblkfree: inconsistent =20
block type" panic I see is due directly to the "soft update =20
inconsistency" in the snapshots, so there is some filesystem =20
corruption happening somewhere which leads to the panic later.  I have =20
been regularly fscking the snapshots and deleting any of them that =20
have errors so they won't panic the system later.  It has kept the =20
system panic-free for quite some time now.

A commonality  you will notice amongst all our systems is that they =20
are AMD64.  I've been unable to find anyone having this problem on i386.

--=20

Chris Dillon - NetEng/SysAdm
Reeds Spring R-IV School District
Technology Department