Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 08:43:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>
To:        Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Veggy Vinny wrote:

> 	We at GaiaNet are currently considering switching from PBI.Net to
> CRL in a T1 link and are planning to purchase a new router as our current
> router from WellFleet overloads and has too many probems.  We are
> considering the Emerging Technologies Router Interface Card for FreeBSD
> but has anyone compared the performance of this to something like a Cisco
> 2501?  Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Don't buy a 2501.  You can get a lot more performance for the same
amount of money using FreeBSD and sync serial cards.

We use a variety of sync serial cards.  The ET card is an old design,
takes up two ISA slots (one for each port), and has other problems.
The SDL Communications cards (N2d, N2pci) are better hardware.

The problem with the SDL cards is the lack of FreeBSD drivers.  There
is a driver for the N2d but not for the N2pci.  The ET driver software
suppports more protocols and some degree of compression.

So generally SDL wins on the hardware side and ET on the software
side.  We prefer SDL but are not happy with the lack of software
support.

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015