Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 22:03:19 +0200
From:      Paul Schenkeveld <fb-mobile@psconsult.nl>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't use 2nd PCMCIA slot on Inspiron 4100

Hello,

I've been trying to get two PCMCIA cards working on my Dell
Inspiron 4100 running a recent stable (running -current is not an
option) for some time now but I got stuck.

I've tried the following:

    1. hw.pcic.intr_path=1
       hw.pcic.irq=0

       This leads to a total freeze as soon as a card is inserted or
       removed.

    2. hw.pcic.intr_path=1
       hw.pcic.irq=5

       (I know that ISA interrupt 5 is free)

       This leads to a panic even before the kernel finishes booting
       saying something like unable to allocate this resource.

    3. hw.pcic.intr_path=2
       hw.pcic.irq=0

       (The default setting, nothing about pcic in /boot/loader.conf)

       With this configuration I can use at most one PCMCIA card.
       After inserting a second card the system usually hangs,
       removing the second card sometimes results in a panic,
       sometimes it resumes operation again.

What I found reaqlly strange is this (I got this once, can't reproduce
it):

    pccard: card inserted, slot 1
    ata4 at port 0x240-0x24f irq 11 slot 1 on pccard1
    ad8: 7MB <SunDisk SDCFB-8> [245/2/32] at ata4-master BIOSPIO
    pccard: card inserted, slot 0
    pccard0: Can not attach more than one child.

(The second cad I inserted was a Cisco Aironet 340 card.)

Anyone?  Need more info?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Paul Schenkeveld