Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2000 19:08:35 +0900
From:      "Akinori -Aki- MUSHA" <knu@idaemons.org>
To:        torstenb@vmunix.org
Cc:        billf@chc-chimes.com, ports@FreeBSD.org, shige@FreeBSD.org, torstenb@FreeBSD.org, asami@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: zsh re-org.

  Hi,

At Sat, 12 Feb 2000 09:59:55 +0100 (CET),
Torsten Blum <torstenb@vmunix.org> wrote:
> Zsh 3.1.x is still beta and as long as this is the case I am, as the
> maintainer of ports/shells/zsh, _strongly_ against this. Having a stable
> shell is IMHO the most important thing. If anyone wants to play with new
> and cool features, that's fine for me. That's why we have zsh-devel.
> Replacing ports/shells/zsh with -devel forces everyone else to use a beta.
> This is definately not a good idea.

  I second.  I've ever been met with a certain problem, that zsh
3.1.[56] fails to load some extension modules after upgrading the
world while 3.0.x seems unaffected.

    /home/knu/.zshrc: failed to load module: zle [1]
    /home/knu/.zshrc: bindkey: autoload failed [1]
    zsh: failed to load module: zle
    knu@freebird[1]%

This is just an example that shows zsh-devel is somewhat less stable
than zsh, though it still works without its _powerful_ command line
editing.

  I'd ask shells/zsh for stability and shells/zsh-devel for new
advanced features.  I, as a hobbyist, will take the latter but such as
ISPs shall take the former, IMHO.

--
                           /
                          /__  __

"If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice."