Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 07:48:26 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marcin Jurczuk <spock@tkb.pl>
To:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD performing worse than Linux?

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> Well, I am seeing dismal ftp performance on my 4.x boxes.  I have a
> network of 4 machines, three of which are running -STABLE from Nov
> 22.  The other machine is running NetBSD 1.5.2 Release.  One of the
> FreeBSD machines has a  base 10 cards in it and has reasonable
> performace with ftp transfer rates around 1.1Megs/sec.  The NetBSD
> machine is a sparcstation 10 with an onboard intel base 10 adapter,
> and it too sees reasonable ftp performance.  The other two -STABLE
> boxes have 100tx cards in them.  One is a Linksys LNE100TX, and the
> other is an intel Pro 10/100B/100+.  The hub for this network is an 8
> port SOHOware autosensing affair.  Both of the 100 cards
> auto-negotiate to 100tx half-duplex.  I can get appoximately
> 1.5Megs/sec out of them using ftp.  I have tried swapping cables,
> swapping ports, and replacing the hub with a crossover cable and
> manually configuring the cards for either full or half duplex
> operation.  None of these steps makes any difference at all.  I can
> reliably duplicate my transfer speeds on a 600 meg file with a std.
> deviation of less than a half a second no matter what network
> configuration I use.  My next step will be to try some different NICs,
> but I don't have anything here that is 100tx based to swap with.  I
> have gotten proper transfer rates out of these machines in the past,
> but I don't remember if the network cards have changed since then.  I
> rarely move large files around at all, and so only looked into this as
> a curiosity when seeing this thread.  I also intend to try some NFS
> mounts out to see if this is a protocol issue or not.

I have two 4.6 servers, and one 4.5 firewall with mostly two type cards:
Intel Pro 10/100 and Intelinet 10/100 (rtl8139C).
Two segments of network, one is on Cisco Catalyst 2900 second built on
ATI 8224 10/100 switch. On both solutions transfers are around 8-9 MB/s
betwen FBSD-> FSDB, FBSD->Linux, Linux-FBSD.
All of those cards work on 100 Mbps/Full Duplex mode..

I didn't notice any strange behavior on FreeBSD, only Linux show messeges
like:
eth0: card reports no resources.
eth0: card reports no resources.
but there is no slow down because of this message...

Best regards.

--
Marcin Jurczuk -> spock@tkb.pl
UNIX/Network Administrator