Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:24:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UDMA66 - One cable, two modes?

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Erik Trulsson wrote:

> If you want to use UDMA66 you are not allowed more than one drive per
> cable.  It is the fact that you have two drives connected to the same cable
> which makes the cable not UDMA-66 compliant.  This is not FreeBSD specific
> but rather an effect of how ATA works.  If you want to run both drives at
> UDMA-66 speeds you will have to get an extra controller.

Oops, thanks! I guess I should have found about about it reading some
UDMA66 specs or even that little booklet included with my HDs.

Anyway, it *should* be sufficent to connect one of the two drivers to
ata1. Then, only one UDMA66 drive is on both ata0 (primary) and ata1
(secondary). The only problem may be that I have heard several times that
a secondary IDE port on a mainboard does not neccessarily support all the
features as the primary port. I guess I'll simply have to try it out
then...

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org