Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:54:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Philip Hallstrom <philip.hallstrom@cendantsoft.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Ports vs. Manually compiling...

Hi -
	I don't want to start any wars, but I haven't been able to find
the information I'm looking for.  Here's my situation:

I come from a Solaris background and therefore am very wary of
ports/packages/etc. since they don't let you tweak all the options, etc.

I do like the notion of ports though since it seems to give you a bit more
flexibility, someone's done the necessary hacking to get it to work, and
they are easy to remove later.
	However - it doesn't seem like there is any way to make all the
little tweaks (say for instance, editing config.h for tcsh to set
keybindings to emacs, rather than vi).
	It also doesn't seem like there is a way to configure where you
want everything to be installed.

I haven't delved too far into it, and I'm pretty new to FreeBSD so maybe
I'm just missing it...

Any one have any insights?

(If I get a lot of responses, I'll post them in a summary)

Thanks!

--
Philip Hallstrom
philip.hallstrom@cendantsoft.com