Date:      Thu, 02 Sep 2004 15:34:25 +0000
From:      meads594@comcast.net
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   logging all logins with periodic

I'm currently running FreeBSD 4.10 on a machine at home. Since it is exposed to the internet (and since I am the only one who should be logging into it), I would like to have a summary log of all logins (both failed and successful).

"periodic" shows the the failed logins in the daily summary, but I would also like a summary of the successful logins. I've "google"-ed, checked the list archives, and looked at the period.conf man page, but I can't seem to find a way to do what I want. However, I'm sure I'm not the first person to want this functionality.

Can periodic be used to get a summary of successful logins? Is there a different utility that exists?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Eads