Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 1999 23:07:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
To:        wwoods@cybcon.com
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StarOffice on a SMP system....

william woods writes:
 > I am running StarOffice 5.1 on a Dual PP200 system with 128 megs memory. It
 > runs (can't get the plugins to run), but my main concern is that I find
 > /var/log/messages filled with stuff like this:
 >
 > Aug 15 17:01:35 freebsd /kernel: shared address space fork attempted: pid: 377
 > Aug 15 17:01:35 freebsd /kernel: shared address space fork attempted: pid: 377
 >
 > Anybody got any good ideas to fix this?

Upgrade to -current or downgrade to 3.1R are your only options.  3.2R
and -stable do not allow fork when the process has shared memory on an
SMP system.  There are no plans to backport code that was added to
-current to support it to -stable.  There was a discussion about this
a couple of weeks ago in regards to Wine (which also doesn't work for
me on -current, alas).