Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 16:34:33 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Nathaniel Schein <nschein@prisa.com>
Cc:        Owner-Freebsd-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NIS,   + in the passwd file

In the last episode (Jul 09), Nathaniel Schein said:
> I am trying to set up NIS with FreeBSD. On bootup ypbind has no
> problem and if I do a `ypwhich` it will show the NIS master.
> Moreover, when I do a `ypcat passwd` the passwd list is displayed.
> When I try to use `vipw` to place a '+' at the end of the passwd
> file, the consistancy checks do not allow me. Must I edit the passwd
> file directly and use `pwd_mkdb` to resolve this problem, or is there
> another solution?

man passwd, search for "Enabling access to NIS passwd data".

> Also, when I do a `ypwhich -x` not all the maps held by the NIS
> master are shown. Does somebody know why? By the way the NIS master
> running FreeBSD 2.11 and the client is running v.3.2. The master is
> correctly configured and integrated with an IRIX network.

     -x      Display the map nickname table.

The nickname table simply translates nicknames like "passwd" into
"passwd.byname".  It is hardcoded into the ypwhich binary and may or
may not match the tables stored in the server.  As far as I know, there
is no way to query an NIS server for a list of maps it is willing to
serve.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com