Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:45:25 -0500
From:      "Jim King" <jim@jimking.net>
To:        "Wesley Morgan" <morganw@chemikals.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 802.11b ad hoc configuration

Is BSS actually a different mode, or a synonym for something else?  For the
Aironet both ancontrol(8) and the Windows driver configuration use the terms
"ad-hoc" and "infrastructure" for the two available modes.

Jim

"Wesley Morgan" <morganw@chemikals.org> wrote:
> If the aironet drivers are anything like the Wavelan drivers,
> windows doesnt use ad-hoc mode any more. I find that the BSS mode works
> fine for me BSD-BSD and Windows-BSD (with no access points either). This
> is wavelan though.
>
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Jim King wrote:
>
> > I have a laptop and a desktop, each with a Cisco Aironet 350 802.11b
wireless NIC.  I'm trying to get them talking to each other in ad hoc mode.
The laptop runs Win2000 and the desktop dual boots Win2000 and FreeBSD
4.3-stable.  With both boxes running Win2000 things work fine.  When I boot
the desktop in FreeBSD I use ifconfig to assign an IP address to the
wireless NIC, and use ancontrol to set ad hoc mode, turn off WEP, set the
SSID, set the node name, set authorization type to none, and set the radio
channel.  ancontrol's status/config displays show that these are being set,
and the settings match the laptop, and after updating to 4.3-stable I'm not
seeing any an(4) error messages on the console.  The status displays on both
boxes are showing "beacons received" and "beacons transmitted" counters
increasing, so I guess they're hearing each other at the radio level.
However, nothing gets through at the network level - no ping, etc.  Is there
some other knob I need to t!