Date:      Thu, 07 Feb 2008 19:10:13 +0100
From:      Frank Staals <frankstaals@gmx.net>
To:        doug@fledge.watson.org
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>, FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: buildworld releng7 exterme performance loss

doug@safeport.com wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, Jerry McAllister wrote:
>> Sounds like the system is spending a lot of time waiting for some
>> resource - I don't know which one[s].
>>
>> Have you perused the system logs? Can you be running out of memory
>> or swap space? Is the system built with debugging turned on?
>>
>> I'm not sure what else to suggest.
>> ////jerry
>>
> if you have not already done so turn on all.log (see etc/syslog.conf)

<message snipped>

As suggested I turned on all.log and also captured the output from
vmstat -i and top -S as 2 others suggested. From the all.log output I
don't seem to see anything out of the ordinary if I compare it to a
snapshot of all.log on my working environment but maybe I am looking for
the wrong thing ? The same applies for the output of top -S. vmstat's
output may be more interesting though. In both cases I the information
was taken just after boot with a login on tty0 and 1 remote session.
vmstat shows the amount of interrupts for my network interfaces are a
lot higher with todays build compared to my working env from 3 weeks
ago. There is one difference though: I did a rm -rf /usr/obj/* through
ssh on the todays build. Could that be the reason for the difference or
did I find the source of the problem ?

info :

all.log
todays build : http://fstaals.net/junk/rena/all.log.2008.07.02.1140
working env: http://fstaals.net/junk/rena/all.log.stable

top -S output (links so the output is still properly formatted )
todays build: http://fstaals.net/junk/rena/top
working env: http://fstaals.net/junk/rena/top_stable

vmstat -i on todays build:
frank@Rena# cat /root/vmstat