Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 2002 09:20:25 -0400
From:      "MikeM" <MyRaQ@mgm51.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        neuhauser@bellavista.cz
Subject:   Re: How to pass configure parms into a port

On 8/6/02 at 5:27 PM Roman Neuhauser wrote:

>> I'd like to build the port of the nano editor and I'd like to
disable
>> wrapping in the editor.  If I were building nano from the tarball,
I'd
>> specify the --disable-wrapping parameter on the configure step of
the
>> build.
>>
>> But I am at a loss trying to specify that parameter on the make step
of
>> building from a port.  I checked the handbook, and I didn't find
>> anything that looked helpful for this question.
>>
>> What obvious thing am I overlooking?
>
>    /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk :) seriously though, i think everyone
>    should read it. it's tough as hell, but even if you wrap your head
>    around 1% of it, it'll greatly help you understand ports.
>
>    now, to answer your question:
>    # make CONFIGURE_ARGS=--disable-wrapping install clean
 =============

Thanks.  I had read bsd.port.mk (and I *do* agree with your assessment
of it :) ).  I was not sure of the ramifications of

	# make CONFIGURE_ARGS=--disable-wrapping install clean

when there are CONFIGURE_ARGS+=blah...blah..blah  in the make files.
In other words, when I specify CONFIGURE_ARGS= on the make command
line, is that the initial value of CONFIGURE_ARGS, and all of the
CONFIGURE_ARGS+= statements in the make files work as expected (i.e.,
appending to the command line value)?   Or are the CONFIGURE_ARGS+=
values in the make file wiped out by the assigment of the command line
CONFIGURE_ARGS?

Hmmm... as I was typing the above, I decided to try it out...  Using
the /www/apache13 port that was mentioned earlier, I entered the
following:

# make -n -V CONFIGURE_ARGS
--prefix=/usr/local  --server-uid=www  --server-gid=www
--with-perl=/usr/bin/perl  --with-layout=FreeBSD  --without-confadjust
--enable-module=most  --enable-module=auth_db
--enable-module=mmap_static  --disable-module=auth_dbm
--enable-shared=max

# make -n -V CONFIGURE_ARGS CONFIGURE_ARGS=--enable-test
--enable-test --prefix=/usr/local  --server-uid=www  --server-gid=www
--with-perl=/usr/bin/perl  --with-layout=FreeBSD  --without-confadjust
--enable-module=most  --enable-module=auth_db
--enable-module=mmap_static  --disable-module=auth_dbm
--enable-shared=max

So the command line invocation of CONFIGURE_ARGS seems to work as
expected.  Cool.  I'll send a note to the handbook folk, and ask if
this can be added to the ports section of the handbook.

Thanks for all the help!