Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:16:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Spamoff@tampabay.rr.com (Spamoff)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pronunciation of "daemon"

Spamoff wrote,
> Brad Knowles wrote:

> > > Dee-mon
>
> Hmmm...I thought it was pronounced   'dayman'    and originally was a spiritual
> guide..
>
> Rgards...Martin

OK, this has gone on long enough. Just point to www.m-w.com
(WWWebster Dictonary, Merriam-Webster On-Line),

Main Entry: deˇmon
Variant(s): or daeˇmon /'dE-m&n/
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English /demon/, from Late Latin & Latin; Late Latin
  /daemon/ evil spirit, from Latin, divinity, spirit, from Greek /daimOn/,
  probably from /daiesthai/ to distribute -- more at TIDE
  Date: 13th century
1 a : an evil spirit b : a source or agent of evil, harm, distress, or ruin
2 /usually daemon/ : an attendant power or spirit : GENIUS
3 /usually daemon/ : a supernatural being of Greek mythology
  intermediate between gods and men
4 : one that has exceptional enthusiasm, drive, or effectiveness <a
  /demon/ for work>
- deˇmoˇniˇan /di-'mO-nE-&n/ adjective
- deˇmonˇizaˇtion /"dE-m&-n&-'zA-sh&n/ noun
- deˇmonˇize /'dE-m&-"nIz/ transitive verb

It's pronounced 'dee-mun' and is a variant of 'demon.' I personally
like definition number 4 for FreeBSD.