Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 15:51:56 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VMware detection code in boot loader

At 10:47 AM -0700 6/11/00, Mike Smith wrote:
>It's not a port, it's a platform.  We probably want to add extra
>words to detect other platform features, eg. i386, alpha, ia64,
>etc. but that doesn't invalidate the basic idea.

For instance, I might be running the vmware program itself under
linux, and thus I am doing nothing with a "freebsd port" of vmware.
At system startup, vmware is just a (virtual) hardware platform
that the OS might want to be aware of.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute