Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:49:47 +1100 (EST)
From:      Iain Templeton <iaint@css.tuu.utas.edu.au>
To:        Juan Kuuse <kuuse@quik.guate.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Realtek 8029 PCI nic

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Juan Kuuse wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm a complete newbie to FreeBSD.
> I just installed 3.0-RELEASE.
> Trying to configure the network adapter manually, I write:
> ifconfig ep0 <IP-adress>
> The error message is:
> "ep0 does not exist"
>
> What to do?

You should be using the ed driver rather than the ep. I have a NIC with a
Realtek 8029 and it comes up as ed1. If you read the messages when it
boots it should come up with some kind of message mentioning the card.

If not you might actually have to install 3.1, but I think that 3.0
detects the card.

Try using ifconfig ed1 etc,

> A related question is about network drivers:
> Using UserConfig, I see a list of network drivers, but there is no Realtek driver.
> I'm using a Realtek 8029 PCI adapter.

Use the generic PCI NE2000 etc driver, they are compatible.

> Currently, I'm running NT, and the nic is working fine on IRQ 11, I/O port EF80-EF9F
>
> Are there any substitutes for this driver, or do I have to rebuild the Kernel?

The GENERIC kernel should have this driver in it, but rebuilding the
kernel is always a good idea.

Iain

--
Iain Templeton, Computer Science Society sysadmin
	BE (Computer Systems Engineering) 4th year